July 30 – October 19 Lecture Phase
October 22 – December 14 Outreach Phase
July 29 - October 18 Lecture Phase
October 21 - December 13 Outreach Phase
July 27 - October 16 Lecture Phase
October 9 - December 11 Outreach Phase
Family Ministry School (FMS)
January 28 – April 19 Lecture Phase
April 22 – June 14 Outreach Phase
January 27 - April 17 Lecture Phase
April 20 - June 12 Outreach Phase
What is a Discipleship Training School? (DTS)
The Discipleship Training School (DTS) is the entry level school into YWAM. It is an intensive course of 5 to 6 months that has been offered by YWAM for over 40 years now, in many countries of the world. The program aims at helping you "To know God and make Him known", by being transformed in character and relationships into the image of Jesus, as you develop your daily walk with God.
Youth with A Mission (YWAM) DTS's are a standardised course throughout New Zealand and the world. The Course is designed to train Christians to be, and make, disciples of Jesus Christ. To achieve this goal, four main aims are emphasised on the DTS:
- Knowing God as a Christian - To provide the student with an overview of the character and nature of God and the characteristics and responsibilities of the Christian worker.
- Mandate of the Christian - To equip the student with a clear vision of the essence of the great Commission and their role and responsibility to fulfil that mandate.
- Methods of the Christian - To provide the student with methods for contributing to the fulfilment of the Great Commission and the opportunity to gain experience using some of those methods to share the gospel with others.
- Character of the Christian - To provide the student with opportunities to understand their own character and its development and how the student relates with others.
The School is a live-in course composed of two parts consisting of 12 weeks of Lecture Phase and an 8 week Field Assignment (outreach). The Lecture Phase is held at the YWAM Matamata/Family Ministries base. Both national and international speakers and DTS staff teach in the Lecture Phase.
The Field Assignment (also referred to as the "Outreach") follows the Lecture Phase, and is usually off base, in NZ or overseas. It is regarded as a vital part of the training programme when the students put to practice and live out what they have learned. We try to provide several outreach options and ask students to pray about which one they should participate in. Our main area of focus is the South Pacific and Asia as well as New Zealand. Outreach destinations and options typically are not finalized until a few weeks into the school. The focus of outreach is evangelism, service and mercy ministry.
Family Ministry School (FMS)
- The Biblical model of family
- God's design for marriage
- Godly parenting
- Christian family counseling principles
- The role of the family in ministry
Example Daily Schedule for FMS & Family/CrossroadsDTS
An example of a daily schedule may look something like this (subject to change):
|6 am||Morning prayer time in Seminar Room (Optional)|
|7 am||Breakfast with families in units|
|8:30 am||Worship & Intercession Times. Children in Creche or Homeschool.|
|10:45 -11 am||Break|
|2- 3:15 pm||Afternoon Programme/Work Duties. Children in Creche or Homeschool.|
|6:30 pm||Family Devotion Times|
|7:30 pm||Free time to work on assignments / Community Open Meeting / Ministry Night|
School Fees for FMS & Family/Crossroads DTS
(in New Zealand Dollars)
IMPORTANT: You will receive an invoice upon arrival. We do not recommend that you pay all your school fees ahead of time as you will need to show you have sufficient funds in your bank account to enter the country. However you will need to pay a non-refundable $500 room deposit 30 days before your arrival to secure your room. (This is part of your total fees).
Lecture Phase Fees:
$4,600.00 NZ per student
(covers Lecture fees, food, 12 weeks accommodation and administration fee)
Please note: From January 1st 2020 our fees will be going up due to inflation and food costs. We will keep you informed with this information through your application process. Thank you for your understanding.
U of N Fee: If you want to be registered for your course with the University of the Nations each student will need to pay $50NZD. This is optional, but if you want to further study or staff with YWAM you will need to be registered. (This is to be paid on the first week of the course, separate to other fees)
*Note: A $500 discount per student is offered to New Zealanders
Prices for Children:
(covers homeschool/creche, food, accommodation)
- $1600.00 for 10 to 18 Years (while still at school)
- $1200.00 for 2 to 9 Years
- $800.00 for 6 months to under 2 Years
- $400.00 for under 6 months
Outreach Phase Fees:
$3500-4500 NZ per student—
varies depending upon location
(covers airfare & ground fees--transportation, accommodation, and food)
- Accommodation before and/or after the school dates will be an extra cost ie. the week of debrief and graduation after outreach will be an extra cost for the week.
- All prices in New Zealand Dollars
- Goods and Sales Tax (GST) is included and has to be paid by both New Zealand and Overseas students
- international airfares to & from New Zealand to attend the Schools
- personal expenses during the Schools
- personal travel & expenses for weekends off & free time
- costs for communications — postage, telephone & internet
- Church on Sundays including Love Offerings
- Any special food
- and other incidental expenses (e.g. laundry/dry cleaning) that are not included in the fees
We REQUIRE overseas students to obtain travel/health insurance covering the period of the school and field assignment before they arrive at the School. Family Ministries NZ will not be responsible for any medical cost incurred by students. You are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand unless you;
- are a resident or citizen of Australia
- or are a national of the United Kingdom in NZ
- or hold a temporary work permit that is valid for two years or more
Check out our promo video for FMS above
Bank to bank telegraphic transfer*
Branch: Matamata Branch, New Zealand
Account number: 010242-0026545-50
Account name: Family Ministries NZ - Student Trust Fund
Swift code: ANZBNZ22
Address: ANZ Bank, 75 Arawa Street, Matamata, New Zealand
*Please note that ANZ charges a fee of NZ$20. They will deduct this from the amount you send before it is credited to our account.
How to Apply
If you would like to apply for a school, please use the form below to get an application form.